National Qualification for Leading Teaching
Leading Teaching (NPQLT) is for teachers who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading teaching in a subject, year group, key stage or phase.
What will I learn?
• The knowledge, skills and expertise to lead high-quality teaching and curriculum development in your school or college.
• How to contribute to a culture of high expectations for teaching and learning across a school. • How pupils learn.
• How to support colleagues to design a carefully sequenced, broad and coherent curriculum.
• How to support colleagues to plan effective lessons.
• How to support colleagues to adapt their teaching to different pupil needs (Adaptive teaching) • How to support colleagues to use effective assessment.
• How to contribute to effective professional development for teaching, curriculum and assessment across a school.
Summary of the Programme and NPQ Learning Hours
Session Type NPQ training (55 hours):
Every Term (3 Terms)
Total Hours (3 Terms)
Audit before start of programme
One day induction conference at the beginning of year 1
One day consolidation conference at the end of year 1
Self-directed learning / Learning journal / Implementation project
9 hours per term (minimum)
Online learning community: Discussion session
1 hour each term (minimum)
Peer learning group and live sessions
3 hours term 1 & 3 / 6 hours term 2
Line manager sessions
Termly one-hour meeting