National Qualification for Leading Teaching
Senior Leadership (NPQSL) is for school leaders who are, or are aspiring to be, a senior leader with cross-school responsibilities.
What will I learn?
• How to contribute to establishing and sustaining the school’s strategic direction and to the development of an effective culture across the school.
• How to develop teaching across the school through effective planning and preparation, and by supporting colleagues to explain and model effectively.
• How to support colleagues to develop the curriculum and assessment.
• How to support colleagues to develop the enabling conditions for good behaviour and support pupils with complex behavioural needs.
• How to ensure all pupils achieve success by supporting colleagues to adapt their teaching to different pupil needs.
• How to ensure colleagues participate in effective professional development.
• Organisational management (safeguarding, resource allocation and management, recruitment).
• Effective implementation and change management.
• Working in partnership with parents, the community and with other schools.
• Governance and accountability.
Summary of the Programme and NPQ Learning Hours
Session Type NPQ training (55 hours):
Every Term (3 Terms)
Total Hours (3 Terms)
Audit before start of programme
One day induction conference at the beginning of year 1
Face to face events - Terms 2, 3 & 4
Self-directed learning / Learning journal / Implementation project
13 hours per term (minimum)
Online learning community: Discussion session
1 hour each term (minimum)
Peer learning group
2 hours each term
Line manager sessions
Termly one-hour meeting